Friday, April 01, 2011

ME! ME! ME! CX Museletter “Joy at the Psalm 4/2”

ME! ME! ME! A Cassendre Xavier Museletter
The “Joy at the Psalm 4/2” ediccione, if you will. (As it were.)
Friday, April 1, 2011

A) GREETING
1) I WANNA BE ON THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW!
2) SINGING WITH RUPERT WATES!
3) DID YOU SEE ME ON THE “COMPUTER TV” LAST NIGHT?
4) BUYING TICKETS IN ABSENTIA
5) BLAH BLAH BLAH, AND DUELING FOR GUMMI BEARS
Z) FAREWELL BLESSING

A) GREETING
Howdy, folkseses! How’s it goin’?
Fine, here. I loves me some overcast/rain so I’ve been pretty tickled these last few days, but it’s challenging because the general population doesn’t feel so much enamored of this weather. I’ve gotta hear rain being slandered hither and yon most of the time when it rains and I’m tired of it, iffn’ ya wanna know the truth!
But Moi digresseth (aka “digressifieth”):
I am here to share a story:

1) I WANNA BE ON THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW!
So I’m busking the other day (Google it) and a new CX music appreciator stopped by to say how much he enjoyed my CD. He said, “You should be on...” and proceeded to list the latest talk shows. I responded, “Funny, ‘cause when you said that, the first thought I had was “Merv Griffin”. And he said, “Ohhhh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were that old!” High-larious! I thought about it later and realized why I had thought of Merv Griffin. Why had I gone so far back in my TV watchin’ experience? Surely, I have watched many shows, from Jimmy Kimmel to Craig Ferguson and so forth. I realized that Merv Griffin’s show was what I watched in my formative years as budding musician. I was coming home from school and watching his show, dreaming of the day I’d play that, or a similar stage. I merged myself with Diana Ross (later to be Sade, as most black female singers dream of being/like), for some reason always a huge ‘fro, and lights – always lights. I watched the Merv Griffin show, enjoying his curious combination of gaydar-alarming behavior and chyk-flirt-with-ism. He had chemistry with Zsa Zsa Gabor, dahling, and I thrilled when the always outrageous Grace “Grapes” Jones said, “Would you like a black lipstick kiss?” and planted one before I could squeal, “Omigod, a black woman is kissing a white guy on TV!!!” How far we have come, my friends. How far we have come.
But where was I??
Oh, yeah, some deud said I was old. But I am forever young at heart, so there!
Guess what I’m doing tomorrow?

2) SINGING WITH RUPERT WATES!
Saturday, April 2, 2011 8PM - $16/Advance, $20/Door
I'll be singing with Rupert Wates at The Psalm Salon, 5841 Overbrook Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19131, 215-477-7578 www.PsalmSalon.com . Rupert Wates online www.BiteMusicLimited.com, www.RupertWatesMusic.com, www.MySpace.com/RupertWates
I am so busy I haven’t taken the time to tell you this:
Rupert rocks. He is my friend and you should go because he’s a superb songwriter. I met him in NY in 2009. We’ve been friends ever since and I’m one of the many singers on his acclaimed project Joe’s Cafe. This is an album based on true stories of the American dust bowl era, whatever that is. History and geography are not so much my thing, but music? You’re damn skippy, and those songs are GOOD. I sing track 6 “Snow in New York” and it’s been getting play all over the world. Rupert and various musicians have performed this album live numerous times, culling local singers whenever he is able. I’ve sung with him in New York’s Metropolitan Room and now tomorrow.
Please know that you can watch the show live tomorrow from wherever you are, then anytime for free, because it’s archived!!! www.ustream.tv/channel/live-at-the-psalm-salon

3) DID YOU SEE ME ON THE “COMPUTER TV” LAST NIGHT?
If you missed our show last night at Ray Naylor’s, it also is archived. Visit the following link for details: CX singing with Rupert Wates on Ray Naylor's UStream internet show "Artists You Should Know About" www.RayNaylor.net
Incidentalment, Ray invited me to be his featured guest in autumn, so I’ll be sure to let you know about that rockin’ segment when it is schedulified (aka “scheduliated”).

I am very impressed with all this live streaming business. Another way cool idea is...

4) BUYING TICKETS IN ABSENTIA
The great Toshi Reagon (www.ToshiReagon.com) gave me the idea when around 2008 I noticed she not only hardcore plugs her shows (I didn’t have a naturally occurring need to use the beloved word “ass” in this newsletter, so of course I took the opportunity to put the word “plug” next to the word “hardcore”. See? I does what I cans :-), but she also encourages folks to buy tickets even if they couldn’t make it. A grand idea, that, being that she being a typical Aquarian (such as Yorz Trooli) has a wide breadth of fannery (aka “fannage”). Twixt MySpace, Facebook, and the newfangled Twitterocity, one has the capacity to have appreciators all across this green, green globe of ours. If someone in Arkansas wants to support our work, they can, simply by buying a ticket from afar.
And you can make your gift go further if you buy the ticket(s), then notify the venue that you’d like the ticket reserved for the artist you are supporting. Then we can offer those tickets to people we barter services with, or with human services organizations, such as homeless shelters. I’ve been at events before wherein some of the attendees were the recipients of such gifts. It’s a grand idea. $16 (the advance price of the Rupert Wates tickets) is not such a high number for most people, and it would do a great service to Rupert and us, as we not only fill seats but sell tickets for the venue as well. And the more people who appear, the more who are likely to either purchase CDs of the artists(s) or become fans.

5) BLAH BLAH BLAH, AND DUELING FOR GUMMI BEARS
Last thing, and I know I should’ve covered this in the “just the facts” section (the beginning), but the singers who will be with Rupert tomorrow: J.D. Malone, Craig Bickhardt, Gina (sorry, don’t know her last name), Stacey Lorin Merkl and myself, will not only be singing 2-3 songs of Ruperts, but in the 1st set, we will be performing our own songs – one each.
So, come to the show, watch us do our thing – what we were born to do. If you can’t be there, buy a ticket, or more than one ticket. Support the arts, and the arts will support you. Or something, I dunno. I’m bummed because I thought I was going to busk today, being a Friday and the 1st of the month and all, I thought it would’ve been a great day to do that, but alas, I may have missed my opportunity writing this here love letter to you good people. But it’s all good, as my people say (they do say that, you know. They really do! What? You dare to dispute me? You wanna take it outside huh? Fine. You take it outside. I’ll wait here and not pursue this matter any further as I really do prefer to avoid confrontation. So go ahead and put your little white glove back on, buddy, because I will NOT duel you, okay? Well, I mean, not unless by “duel”, you mean having a contest to see who can eat the most Gummi bears. ‘Cause that I could do. Seriously. And you wouldn’t have a chance. You’d be all cryin’ on your way home. Waaaaaah! Yep. That’s what you would sound like, ya jive turkey. Don’t get me started! Now where was I? Oh yeah!)
I shall do some writing and much needed napcatchuppage (aka “napcatchuppery”)!

Hope to see you tomorrow or at some future CX show.
Rock on with yourself that is oh so very, very....GOOD!
P.S. I just realized what I can do....practice for tomorrow show! Duh! :-)
P.P.S. And I have a hunch there might be some rewards for avoiding great numbers of people on a day notoriously known as “April Fool’s”, although it’s not nearly as ominous as “Mischief Night” :-)

Z) FAREWELL BLESSING
May you feel the glory and fullness of Life at every moment.
May you notice when you have a negative thought, and without judgment, put a positive thought next to it.
May you muster up the gumption to say the L word more often (love, love, love).
May you make loving yourself your top priority.
May this year harmoniously and joyfully bring you all your heart’s desires, surpassing all your expectations – this, or something better, and may it be for the good of all. And so it is.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Make yourself a beautiful day!

In art and community,


Cassendre Xavier (aka Amethyste Rah, aka Amrita Waterfalls)
renaissance negresse (musician, writer, visual artist, actress)
http://www.cassEndrExavier.com

Founder, Curator and Musical Host of the Women's Writing & Spoken Word
Series (Est. 2002) http://WomensWritingSeries.org (Next event: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 streaming LIVE from the Moonstone Arts Center, and featuring The Ignant Intellectual, and Brooke Strauss! $5 includes Mixed-Gender Open Mic!)

Founder & Director of Philadelphia's Annual Black Women's Arts Festival (Est. 2003) http://BWAFphilly.org (Next event: Thursday, July 28th thru Sunday, July 31st, 2011 at the Rotunda, Moonstone Arts Center, Big Blue Marble Bookstore! Mid Submissions April 1 thru May 1!)

Ó 2011 by Cassendre Xavier. All rightsen reservenitzhken. www.cassEndrExavier.com.
Number of times the word “ass” appeared in this writing: 1. (I’ll do better next time :-)
To unsubscribe: Reply with “Remove” in the subject.
To subscribe: Send blank email to: cassendrexavier-subscribe@yahoo.com.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home